Free Safety Resources and Medical Equipment
Provided by the Sheriff’s Department
On May 10, Deputy Dave Fenton from the Hampshire County Sheriff’s Department reviewed the free resources that his department offers to help older adults live safely in our community. At this Northampton Neighbors’ Monthly Insights Zoom event, he provided an overview of two programs in a regional collaboration he oversees.
The Triad Program started 30 years ago as a proactive way for law enforcement to improve safety for older people. Fenton shared a number of Triad’s offerings.
- The File of Life, a plastic envelope that contains relevant medical information that can be affixed to one’s refrigerator, where emergency personnel can easily find it when needed.
- Prominent house number signs, which help emergency personnel find a residence quickly. These are installed by volunteers, and are available for $7.
- Safe-entry lock boxes with a digit tumbler that are attached to a residence’s front door and contain a key for easy access by emergency personnel. (Northampton will have these soon.)
- Document-shredding services (coming in the autumn)
- Drug take-backs. In addition to a yearly drive, this service is always available at the Northampton Police Department.
- Fleece blanket distribution, done periodically through the Northampton Senior Center)
- Driveway sand in five-gallon pails, distributed each fall to prevent falls on ice.
The Medical Equipment Giveaway Program provides (and delivers!) a variety of free, durable medical equipment. This includes walkers, rollators, bed rails, commodes, transport chairs, tub rails, shower chairs, Hoyer lifts, and wheelchairs. (Hospital beds are not available.) You can request medical equipment by calling 413-582-7787, and it will be delivered directly to you. Donations are appreciatively accepted and picked up by the sheriff’s office. Fenton said they are negotiating about a space at the Hampshire Mall for storage and pick-up. He also noted that the Stavros Center for Independent Living (stavros.org; 413-256-0473) may have also have medical equipment for use.
NN Monthly Insights is an education series with practical information about valuable resources and relevant topics for older adults in our community. Join us the second Tuesday of each month, 4:15–4:45 pm, and become a more knowledgeable, empowered advocate for your own aging process.
Please check our calendar for future Monthly Insights and other events.